President Trump ‘pulls back after approving military strikes’ on Iran

On Thursday President Donald Trump approved military strikes on Iran after a US spy drone was shot down by a surface to air missile over international airspace.

According to the New York Times, the newspaper cited senior White House officials that said, retaliatory military strikes were planned for a “handful” of targets in Iran.

Allegedly the strikes were “in its early stages” when Trump changed his mind and stood the military down.

The newspaper who first published the details late on Thursday night said, that at 23:00 GMT military and diplomatic officials expected the strikes to go ahead.

The targets included Iranian radar and missile batteries. The newspaper cited an unnamed senior official who said, “Planes were in the air and ships were in position, but no missiles had been fired when word came to stand down.”

On Thursday Trump took to Twitter and said that “Iran has made a very big mistake” after Iran shot down a US drone.

US military’s Central Command said the drone was shot down using a surface to air missile over international airspace over the Strait of Hormuz.

In a statement the military said, “Iranian reports that the aircraft was over Iran are false.

“this was an unprovoked attack on a US surveillance asset in international airspace.”

Mitch McConnell, Senate majority leader said, “The administration is engaged in what I would call measured responses.”

Chuck Schumer, from the US Senate said, “The president may not intend to go to war here, but we’re worried that he and the administration may bumble into a war.”

The post President Trump ‘pulls back after approving military strikes’ on Iran appeared first on London Business News | Londonlovesbusiness.com.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *